Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Buenos Aires, Argentina

So it´s been a really long time since I´ve written--again.
I´ve since moved to a different host family in San Isidro (a barrio in northern Buenos Aires, Ar). I was having some problems with my host mom in Uruguay (she was a bitch, basically) so AFS shipped me here. Things have improved A LOT. I really like my family here--mom, dad, sister (Pilar-15), and two brothers (Lars-11, Oliver-5). They´re so nice and I´m getting along with them soo much better than my last family. Pilar is super cool--we hang out and talk all the time. Anyway AFS hasn´t found me a school to go to here yet, so I don´t know if I´ll be able to stay here. I hope I can though because things are going really well.
I´ve been here about a week now, and since I´ve had a lot of free time I´ve been going into Buenos Aires centro a lot to meet up with other exchange students. I went to la Feria de Libros which is the biggest book fair in Latin/South America--it was super nerdy but super cool. All these artists and authors speak there too, and I went to go see Marta Minujin (look her up) who is this INSANE performance artist (ie: she dropped a bunch of live chickens out of a plane, built a parthanon out of books, etc.). I´ve also done some shopping in Palermo which is like THE shopping district in Bs As (although I didn´t buy anything...except a Borges book haha).
Anyways, not much else is new.
Another update in another month or so probably haha....

1 comment:

Nick Triolo said...

Hi Ellen!

This is Nick from AFS-USA. How's Argentina going? Well, I am definitely jealous of your opportunity to be in such a wonderful country for so long! Awesome.

Well I am contacting you because I came across your wonderful blog and you're doing such a great job documenting your trip, with photos and personal reflection.

I was curious if you would be okay with AFS using some of your best pictures to add to an Argentina online photo gallery, much like our newly created Thailand Show here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/afsthailandrocks/pool/show/. It doesn't look like you have many photos uploaded to the blog, so how are you sharing your photos?

Also, we have recently created the Official AFS Blog (http://afsgoabroad.blogspot.com) and we would love to feature your blog at some point, if that's alright with you.

Please let me know as soon as you can whether this would be alright.

Thanks so much Ellen, I'll look forward to your response. Keep on having the time of your life!

Nick Triolo
AFS-USA Assistant
ntriolo@afs.org